formularioHidden
formularioRDF
Login

 

Buscar en La Rioja Turismo close

EMPIEZA A TECLEAR...

TU BÚSQUEDA NO HA OBTENIDO NINGÚN RESULTADO.

Panel Information

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos de interés. Al continuar con la navegación entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.

See and Do

facetas
filter_listFiltrar

256 results

...

Casalarreina

The Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, Don Juan Fernández de Velasco and his niece, Doña Isabel Alonso de Guzmán y Fernández de Velasco were its founders. The young girl entered the monastery taking the name Sister María de La Piedad and her uncorrupted body is still kept there.

Cardinal Adriano Florenz was asked to bless and inaugurate the monastery in 1522 on the occasion of his visit to the “Casa de la Reina”, the town's old name, on his way to Rome where he was going to be confirmed and enthroned as Pope under the name of Adrian VI.

The sisters of the Dominican Order took possession of the monastery in 1523, although during the war of Independence they had to move to Burgos as the monastery had become a Field Hospital.

The monastery took ten years to be completed (1514-1524), using materials of the highest quality, thus obtaining great uniformity of style.

The monastery church is in "Catholic Monarch" style, with a big main chapel and octagonal transept and apse. In the centre of the nave is the tomb of the founder, a smooth reddish jasper mound with no other decoration except the inscription. The reredos is dedicated to the Passion of Our Lord and particularly the Pity. >The main cloister has two levels, the lower covered with tierceron cross vaulting. The central keystones of the vaults depict allegories of the Passion with various symbols and attributes. The upper cloister, covered with a flat wooden roof, and with stretches of balusters between the columns, is one of the parts with the richest ornamental decoration.

The main door of the church is conceived in the late Gothic style in the form of a big altarpiece mad of stone.





Casalarreina

The Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, Don Juan Fernández de Velasco and his niece, Doña Isabel Alonso de Guzmán y Fernández de Velasco were its founders. The young girl entered the monastery taking the name Sister María de La Piedad and her uncorrupted body is still kept there.

Cardinal Adriano Florenz was asked to bless and inaugurate the monastery in 1522 on the occasion of his visit to the “Casa de la Reina”, the town's old name, on his way to Rome where he was going to be confirmed and enthroned as Pope under the name of Adrian VI.

The sisters of the Dominican Order took possession of the monastery in 1523, although during the war of Independence they had to move to Burgos as the monastery had become a Field Hospital.

The monastery took ten years to be completed (1514-1524), using materials of the highest quality, thus obtaining great uniformity of style.

The monastery church is in "Catholic Monarch" style, with a big main chapel and octagonal transept and apse. In the centre of the nave is the tomb of the founder, a smooth reddish jasper mound with no other decoration except the inscription. The reredos is dedicated to the Passion of Our Lord and particularly the Pity. >The main cloister has two levels, the lower covered with tierceron cross vaulting. The central keystones of the vaults depict allegories of the Passion with various symbols and attributes. The upper cloister, covered with a flat wooden roof, and with stretches of balusters between the columns, is one of the parts with the richest ornamental decoration.

The main door of the church is conceived in the late Gothic style in the form of a big altarpiece mad of stone.





...

Nájera

Doña Aldonza Manrique de Lara, daughter of the Dukes of Nájera founded the monastery in the mid 16th c., outside the city. Nothing remains of this building and the current complex consists in church, cloister and other monastery buildings inside the cloister.

The monastery church is the only part open to visitors. It dates from the 17 th century and is the work of the stonemasons Pedro Ezquerra de Rozas and José de la Puente Liermo. Strung along the nave you can see various altarpieces of great beauty, two of them in Rococo style in the arms of the transept, one of them with the image of the Conception from the mid 17th c., and the other with that of Santa Clara. The main altarpiece in baroque style is made up of a base, a single block of three vertical series of panels and top piece, the work of Mateo Rubalcaba, in the centre of the body is a fine carving of Santa Elena.

Wrought iron railings at the foot of the church composed of two parts dating from 1660 separate the part open to the public from the closed order where nowadays the Franciscan Clarisa nuns live.

Nájera

Doña Aldonza Manrique de Lara, daughter of the Dukes of Nájera founded the monastery in the mid 16th c., outside the city. Nothing remains of this building and the current complex consists in church, cloister and other monastery buildings inside the cloister.

The monastery church is the only part open to visitors. It dates from the 17 th century and is the work of the stonemasons Pedro Ezquerra de Rozas and José de la Puente Liermo. Strung along the nave you can see various altarpieces of great beauty, two of them in Rococo style in the arms of the transept, one of them with the image of the Conception from the mid 17th c., and the other with that of Santa Clara. The main altarpiece in baroque style is made up of a base, a single block of three vertical series of panels and top piece, the work of Mateo Rubalcaba, in the centre of the body is a fine carving of Santa Elena.

Wrought iron railings at the foot of the church composed of two parts dating from 1660 separate the part open to the public from the closed order where nowadays the Franciscan Clarisa nuns live.

...

San Asensio

The monastery of La Estrella was built on the foundations of an old shrine built as a result of the appearance of an image of the Virgin Mary on an oak tree. This monastery was originally called Our Lady of Aritzeta (Holm Oak in Basque) and later “Estrella” (the Star) because the oak tree in which the image of the virgin appeared had this symbol engraved on one of its branches.

In 1403 Juan de Guzmán, Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, gave custody over the shrine and its lands to the Hieronymite friars of the Morcuera (Miranda de Ebro). Following Martin V's Papal Bull, (1419) it was made a monastery.

The Archdean of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada, Diego Fernández de Entrena in 1423 paid for the reconstruction of the monastery in line with the style of the era. The painter Juan Fernández de Navarrete “El Mudo” from Logroño, started to train in this monastery in which he left works executed by his hand which no longer exist today.

In 1951 the Brothers of the Christian Schools, Hermanos de La Salle, acquired the monastery and rebuilt it on the ruins almost all in the neo-gothic style, under the direction of the architect Pedro Ispizua, perfectly harmonized by the new style of ancient structures.

At the present time, several parts can be visited: the Knights' Gate, which was the main doorway, the Gothic cloister of 1430, the 16th century King's Fountain, the modern sanctuary from the mid 20th century, the pilgrims' hall, and the tomb of the Archdean.

San Asensio

The monastery of La Estrella was built on the foundations of an old shrine built as a result of the appearance of an image of the Virgin Mary on an oak tree. This monastery was originally called Our Lady of Aritzeta (Holm Oak in Basque) and later “Estrella” (the Star) because the oak tree in which the image of the virgin appeared had this symbol engraved on one of its branches.

In 1403 Juan de Guzmán, Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, gave custody over the shrine and its lands to the Hieronymite friars of the Morcuera (Miranda de Ebro). Following Martin V's Papal Bull, (1419) it was made a monastery.

The Archdean of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada, Diego Fernández de Entrena in 1423 paid for the reconstruction of the monastery in line with the style of the era. The painter Juan Fernández de Navarrete “El Mudo” from Logroño, started to train in this monastery in which he left works executed by his hand which no longer exist today.

In 1951 the Brothers of the Christian Schools, Hermanos de La Salle, acquired the monastery and rebuilt it on the ruins almost all in the neo-gothic style, under the direction of the architect Pedro Ispizua, perfectly harmonized by the new style of ancient structures.

At the present time, several parts can be visited: the Knights' Gate, which was the main doorway, the Gothic cloister of 1430, the 16th century King's Fountain, the modern sanctuary from the mid 20th century, the pilgrims' hall, and the tomb of the Archdean.

...

Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga, Bishop of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada was the founder of this Abbey. The Cistercian nuns who live here come from the Monastery of Santa María de los Barrios in Abia de las Torres (Palencia), who moved to Santo Domingo de La Calzada in 1610,date when the building of the new monastery began, until the works were completed in 1621.

The monastery depended on the Abbey of las Huelgas in Burgos until the bull of Pío IX in 1873, when it was transferred to the jurisdiction of the clergy of the Riojan diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada.

The monastery church, a classical work of the architects Matías de Asteazu and Pedro de la Mata, consists of a single nave in the form of a Latin cross, divided into chapels by the flying buttresses in which the altars are mounted.

In the main chapel there is a magnificent example of Riojan Baroque art, an altarpiece dating from the middle of the 18th c., in the central niche is the image of Our Lady of the Annunciation.

The tomb of the founder, Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga and his two nephews, also bishops, constitute one of the most interesting artistic elements of the church, situated to the right of the main altarpiece showing the richly worked carving of the recumbent statues of the three bishops.

The lower choir situated t the foot of the church served as a cemetery until 1960 and over 200 nuns are buried there. Next to the church is the 17th century cloister which is outstanding for its austerity, in line with Cistercian spirituality.

The monastery has free lodging for pilgrims situated in the old Chaplain's House, an 18th century building restored and refurbished to receive pilgrims.

Since its foundation it has been inhabited by a community of Cistercians.

Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga, Bishop of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada was the founder of this Abbey. The Cistercian nuns who live here come from the Monastery of Santa María de los Barrios in Abia de las Torres (Palencia), who moved to Santo Domingo de La Calzada in 1610,date when the building of the new monastery began, until the works were completed in 1621.

The monastery depended on the Abbey of las Huelgas in Burgos until the bull of Pío IX in 1873, when it was transferred to the jurisdiction of the clergy of the Riojan diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada.

The monastery church, a classical work of the architects Matías de Asteazu and Pedro de la Mata, consists of a single nave in the form of a Latin cross, divided into chapels by the flying buttresses in which the altars are mounted.

In the main chapel there is a magnificent example of Riojan Baroque art, an altarpiece dating from the middle of the 18th c., in the central niche is the image of Our Lady of the Annunciation.

The tomb of the founder, Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga and his two nephews, also bishops, constitute one of the most interesting artistic elements of the church, situated to the right of the main altarpiece showing the richly worked carving of the recumbent statues of the three bishops.

The lower choir situated t the foot of the church served as a cemetery until 1960 and over 200 nuns are buried there. Next to the church is the 17th century cloister which is outstanding for its austerity, in line with Cistercian spirituality.

The monastery has free lodging for pilgrims situated in the old Chaplain's House, an 18th century building restored and refurbished to receive pilgrims.

Since its foundation it has been inhabited by a community of Cistercians.

filter_list

Filtrar

close

Find

facetas