San Millán de la Cogolla
tipo de documento semantico destination
San Millán de la Cogolla is a municipality in the autonomous region of La Rioja. It is at the foot of the Demanda Mountains on the eastern slopes separating the plateau from the Ebro Valley. The village is 728 metres above sea level on the banks of the River Cárdenas. Even though it isn't actually on the Way of St. James, many pilgrims take a detour to visit the village before returning to the Way.
-Location: It is part of the district of Nájera. It belongs to the so-called Cogolla area on the northern edge of the Demanda Mountains.
-Area: 40.7 km2.
-Height: 800 metres.
-Populated areas, neighbourhoods or villages: Lugar del Río.
-Economy: The inhabitants of San Millán earn their living farming dry crops, potatoes and animals.
<a href="https://prelariojaturismo.gnoss.com/comunidad/larioja/recurso/monasterio-de-suso/88b7b4c7-fa0a-49cd-824d-86e6e049ad67">Suso Monastery Mozarabic. Its foundation is linked to the life of San Millán, who locked himself in a cave in the Valley of the Cárdenas River to get away from the world. Towards 550, with the help of his disciples he built a small monastery, which is the oldest part of the building and where the tomb of San Millán rests. Towards 923, the monastery was inhabited by Mozarabic monks that left their imprint in the architecture (the horseshoe arch at the entrance of the church, and the square twin chapels in the inside). In the gallery entrance, are the tombs of the Siete Infantes de Lara and their tutor, Nuño Salido, as well as the tombs of three queens of Navarra: Tota, Elvira y Jimena. <a href="https://prelariojaturismo.gnoss.com/comunidad/larioja/recurso/monasterio-de-yuso/e66812aa-6cc2-4b29-922b-9cf65ed069c8">Yuso Monastery: Known as El Escorial de La Rioja, it was built in the 11th century, although nothing is preserved of the first construction. The current monastery is composed by a series of buildings that were built starting in the 16th century and were finished in the 18th century. The church dates back to 1504 and has three naves and transept with stellar vaults. The highlights are the reredos of the Main Altar and the main facade of the convent. The sacristy is considered one of the most beautiful ones in Spain. The low cloister was built in ashlar in the 16th century and the high cloister is Classicist. The library, set up in 1780, stores valuable books. The Monastery also accommodates many other treasures: two silver chests with the relics of San Millán and San Felices, and several ivory pieces. The Monastery, where the Glosas Emilianenses where found (first words in Castilian and Basque), is the headquarters of the Aula de la Lengua, that the Spanish Monarchs inaugurated in 1992. This lecture hall was created with the aim of promoting Castilian as a cultural vehicle.
About this resource...
Loading form, a moment please