Ortigosa de Cameros
tipo de documento semantico destination
The area was settled in prehistoric times. It's name is mentioned in Fernán González's oath. The town was linked to the Manriques until 1450, then to the dukes of Nájera. In 1781 it became a free town, coinciding with the extraordinary boom in Ortigosa and the growth of the Mesta, which was an association of sheep herders, and the bread making industry. During the 19th and 20th centuries, there were great losses due to emigration. Those Spaniards that had emigrated and made a success of their lives never forget their origins and sent money back to the village. In 1932 Alcalá Zamora, president of the Republic, and Indalecio Prieto were present at the placing of the first stone in the reservoir.
-Surrounding area: The village of Peñaloscintos. It is surrounded by forests and mountains and through the pines and oaks you can see the Robledillo meadow and the animal sheds at La Cerradilla. There is a beautiful walk under the beech trees. El collado Canto Hincado lies in the division between the Najerilla and Iregua Rivers. You can do a number of water sports on the González Lacasa Reservoir. The Ortigosa Caves.
-Location: It is part of the district of Torrecilla en Cameros. It lies in the valley crossed by the Rioseco and Arroyo Huertos Rivers, which feed into the González Lacasa Reservoir, very close to Ortigosa.
-Area: 35.3 km2.
-Height: 1,070 m.
-Populated areas, neighbourhoods or villages: Peñaloscintos.
-Economy: The main activity here is livestock farming.
The village is a beautiful mountain ensemble, arranged on the side of a ravine crossed by two bridges. It is a natural canyon, the Encinedo Mountain Range, result of a karstic process that generated the famous caves. The village has two churches. One of them, the San Martín Church is a 16th century building in masonry and carved stone with two naves covered by an ogive vault. In its interior the highlights are the image of the Virgen del Carmen, Cristo de las Batallas from the 15th century, and San Rafael. Two districts, stone mansions and picturesque mountain architecture, turn the village in one of the most beautiful ones in Cameros. The limestone in the mountains hides caves and chasms. Two of them can be visited. These are La Paz, in the top part of the mountain range, with an itinerary of 236 metres and spectacular exhibitions of stalactites and stalagmites in the interior; and La Viña, in the front part of the quarry of the mountain range, with an itinerary of 114 metres and a set of impressive white stalactites.
About this resource...
Loading form, a moment please