formularioHidden
formularioRDF
Login

 

Buscar en La Rioja Turismo close

EMPIEZA A TECLEAR...

TU BÚSQUEDA NO HA OBTENIDO NINGÚN RESULTADO.

Panel Information

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos de interés. Al continuar con la navegación entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.

All > san millán

facetas
filter_listFiltrar

9 results

Mosaic of cultures

tipo de documento Articles

 

On Sunday we suggest a unique cultural visit: The Monasteries of Suso and Yuso at San Millán de la Cogolla, World Heritage Site and cradle of the Spanish language. The Route of the Spanish Language starts off from these monasteries in La Rioja.

...

Pensión Jauja

tipo de documento Accommodations

...

Alesanco

Pensión Jauja is located on a privileged site in La Rioja Alta, 5 minutes from the Monasteries Routes, 10 from St James' Way and 20 from Logroño or San Millán. Located between Cañas and Santo Domingo, 10 minutes from the golf course. It has seven double rooms with full bathroom, TV and A/C, some with Balcony (cot if required). Breakfast service (buffet), easy parking and swimming pool. Economic rates and polite and friendly atmosphere. Reservations by telephone.

Alesanco

Pensión Jauja is located on a privileged site in La Rioja Alta, 5 minutes from the Monasteries Routes, 10 from St James' Way and 20 from Logroño or San Millán. Located between Cañas and Santo Domingo, 10 minutes from the golf course. It has seven double rooms with full bathroom, TV and A/C, some with Balcony (cot if required). Breakfast service (buffet), easy parking and swimming pool. Economic rates and polite and friendly atmosphere. Reservations by telephone.

Camping de Berceo

tipo de documento Accommodations

...

Berceo

Located in the Valley of San Millán in Sierra de la Demanda. Its tourist attractions are the Monasteries of San Millán ( Yuso and Suso), World Heritage Site. Cradle of the Castilian language. Trekking ( GR-93 trail). Landscapes of beech and yew trees. Height above sea level: 727 m. rental of Mobile homes and Bungalows. It has a WC fully adapted for the disabled. Restaurant offering typical Riojan cuisine: vine roasted lamb chops, patatas a la riojana...High season: 16 June to 15 September. The price of the pitch includes tent, caravan or motorhome, car and electricity.

Berceo

Located in the Valley of San Millán in Sierra de la Demanda. Its tourist attractions are the Monasteries of San Millán ( Yuso and Suso), World Heritage Site. Cradle of the Castilian language. Trekking ( GR-93 trail). Landscapes of beech and yew trees. Height above sea level: 727 m. rental of Mobile homes and Bungalows. It has a WC fully adapted for the disabled. Restaurant offering typical Riojan cuisine: vine roasted lamb chops, patatas a la riojana...High season: 16 June to 15 September. The price of the pitch includes tent, caravan or motorhome, car and electricity.

Nestázar II

tipo de documento Accommodations

...

Berceo

The holiday cottage is in the town of Berceo, in the Valley of San Millán, where the visitor can enjoy unique landscapes with forests where you can find beeches, oaks, pine trees among the wide range of existing species that allow us to speak of unique forests, where it is a pleasure to go hiking through varied landscapes. The area also has a rich artistic heritage: in the valley you will find the Monasteries of Yuso and Suso, two architectural jewels of great value and key to understanding much of our history. Here the traveller will find beautiful examples of popular architecture, traditional cuisine prepared with natural products and the necessary tranquility to relax. Activities: hiking information. Artistic circuits. Mountain bike rental. Dinner available.

Berceo

The holiday cottage is in the town of Berceo, in the Valley of San Millán, where the visitor can enjoy unique landscapes with forests where you can find beeches, oaks, pine trees among the wide range of existing species that allow us to speak of unique forests, where it is a pleasure to go hiking through varied landscapes. The area also has a rich artistic heritage: in the valley you will find the Monasteries of Yuso and Suso, two architectural jewels of great value and key to understanding much of our history. Here the traveller will find beautiful examples of popular architecture, traditional cuisine prepared with natural products and the necessary tranquility to relax. Activities: hiking information. Artistic circuits. Mountain bike rental. Dinner available.

...

Camprovín

House in the village centre, restored respecting the traditional local construction style, in an ideal setting for hiking, very close to the “capital of furniture”, Nájera, and the monasteries of San Millán and Valvanera. The House has two living rooms, six rooms equipped with television and full bathroom, porch and private garden. Everything is designed for your leisure, tranquility and rest.

Camprovín

House in the village centre, restored respecting the traditional local construction style, in an ideal setting for hiking, very close to the “capital of furniture”, Nájera, and the monasteries of San Millán and Valvanera. The House has two living rooms, six rooms equipped with television and full bathroom, porch and private garden. Everything is designed for your leisure, tranquility and rest.

Viña Cordovín

tipo de documento Accommodations

...

Cordovín

Whole house for rental or per room in the Cordovín wine cellar district, famous for its Claret wine.

The house has 5 bedrooms decorated with wine-related themes. A lounge on each floor. A terrace facing the Sun and another with barbecue for meals, and games

The village is situated in a privileged place, 9 km from San Millán, 3 km from Cañas, 13 km from Nájera and 17 km from Santo Domingo. It is also next to St James' Way, the Cirueña Golf Club and 30 km from Valdezcaray ski pistes.

Cordovín

Whole house for rental or per room in the Cordovín wine cellar district, famous for its Claret wine.

The house has 5 bedrooms decorated with wine-related themes. A lounge on each floor. A terrace facing the Sun and another with barbecue for meals, and games

The village is situated in a privileged place, 9 km from San Millán, 3 km from Cañas, 13 km from Nájera and 17 km from Santo Domingo. It is also next to St James' Way, the Cirueña Golf Club and 30 km from Valdezcaray ski pistes.

...

Haro

Desde este santuario se tiene una panorámica que impresiona durante todo el año, pero especialmente el 29 de junio, día que se celebra en tan impresionante escenario la famosa Batalla del Vino.

Desde esta afilada cresta se ve como el Ebro entra en La Rioja, atravesando las llamadas Conchas de Haro (un canal natural que el Ebro ha ido creando a su paso), y serpentea entre los viñedos como un gigante embriagado. La ermita se alza sobre los riscos de Bilibio, a seis kilómetros al norte de Haro, donde primero hubo un castillo romano y luego, a finales del siglo V, hicieron vida retirada San Felices, cuya sobria efigie en piedra corona el cerro, y su discípulo San Millán. Más cerca del cielo no podían estar.

La prestigiosa guía Repsol nombró este enclave como el mejor Rincón de España en 2014. Gracias a una enorme participación de los jarreros, se consiguió lograr este merecido reconocimiento para este lugar con vistas privilegiadas, que cada vez atrae a más visitantes.

 

Haro

Desde este santuario se tiene una panorámica que impresiona durante todo el año, pero especialmente el 29 de junio, día que se celebra en tan impresionante escenario la famosa Batalla del Vino.

Desde esta afilada cresta se ve como el Ebro entra en La Rioja, atravesando las llamadas Conchas de Haro (un canal natural que el Ebro ha ido creando a su paso), y serpentea entre los viñedos como un gigante embriagado. La ermita se alza sobre los riscos de Bilibio, a seis kilómetros al norte de Haro, donde primero hubo un castillo romano y luego, a finales del siglo V, hicieron vida retirada San Felices, cuya sobria efigie en piedra corona el cerro, y su discípulo San Millán. Más cerca del cielo no podían estar.

La prestigiosa guía Repsol nombró este enclave como el mejor Rincón de España en 2014. Gracias a una enorme participación de los jarreros, se consiguió lograr este merecido reconocimiento para este lugar con vistas privilegiadas, que cada vez atrae a más visitantes.

 

Monasterio de Suso

tipo de documento Attractions

...

San Millán de la Cogolla

San Millán de la Cogolla is how this site made up of a village and the two monasteries is known, which has its roots in the community which grew up around the work of the hermit monk named Millán who lived 101 years (473-574) in caves in the sierra de la Demanda devoted to prayer. Suso from the Latin sursum means “at the top”, as the older of the monasteries is known, and Yuso, from the Latin deorsum, “at the bottom”. In 1997, they were both declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.

Of the current Monastery of Suso, constructed between the 6th and 11th centuries, important vestiges remain of the different historic moments it has lived through. The rock caverns in which the hermits lived, the primitive Visigoth coenobium, the Mozarab enlargement and finally, the Romanesque.

Access to the monastery is through the portaello, where the tombs of the infantes de Lara and their tutor Nuño are located, accompanying the three Navarran queens.

Through the Mozarabic arch with alabaster capitals which recall the time of the caliph of Cordoba in the 10th c., decorated with designs depicting plant motifs and geometrical shapes, we enter inside the Mozarabic monastery with three large horseshoe arches. At the back we can see the remains of the primitive Visigoth construction.

The burial cave contains the tomb of the founder from the second half of the 12th c. built of black alabaster and decorated with a recumbent statue, wearing priest's robes, alb, chasuble and stole with a beautifully worked cross on his chest bearing the decoration of numbers and plants. Nowadays, the Pilgrims' Way as it passes through la Rioja makes a diversion to the monastery of Yuso where the saint's remains are kept.


During the Middle Ages it was a centre of political and cultural power. From its important scriptorium came the first written testimony of the Romance Spanish and Basque languages, the glosas emilianenses. Nowadays the Ministry of Culture looks after the monastery

San Millán de la Cogolla

San Millán de la Cogolla is how this site made up of a village and the two monasteries is known, which has its roots in the community which grew up around the work of the hermit monk named Millán who lived 101 years (473-574) in caves in the sierra de la Demanda devoted to prayer. Suso from the Latin sursum means “at the top”, as the older of the monasteries is known, and Yuso, from the Latin deorsum, “at the bottom”. In 1997, they were both declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.

Of the current Monastery of Suso, constructed between the 6th and 11th centuries, important vestiges remain of the different historic moments it has lived through. The rock caverns in which the hermits lived, the primitive Visigoth coenobium, the Mozarab enlargement and finally, the Romanesque.

Access to the monastery is through the portaello, where the tombs of the infantes de Lara and their tutor Nuño are located, accompanying the three Navarran queens.

Through the Mozarabic arch with alabaster capitals which recall the time of the caliph of Cordoba in the 10th c., decorated with designs depicting plant motifs and geometrical shapes, we enter inside the Mozarabic monastery with three large horseshoe arches. At the back we can see the remains of the primitive Visigoth construction.

The burial cave contains the tomb of the founder from the second half of the 12th c. built of black alabaster and decorated with a recumbent statue, wearing priest's robes, alb, chasuble and stole with a beautifully worked cross on his chest bearing the decoration of numbers and plants. Nowadays, the Pilgrims' Way as it passes through la Rioja makes a diversion to the monastery of Yuso where the saint's remains are kept.


During the Middle Ages it was a centre of political and cultural power. From its important scriptorium came the first written testimony of the Romance Spanish and Basque languages, the glosas emilianenses. Nowadays the Ministry of Culture looks after the monastery

Monasterio de Yuso

tipo de documento Attractions

...

San Millán de la Cogolla

The origin of the construction of this monastery is reflected in a legend which tells how king García of Nájera, ordered the transfer of the remains of San Millán which were then in Suso to the Monastery of Santa María La Real de Nájera. The oxen which were pulling the cart stopped in the valley as if the Saint's remains did not want to abandon it, so the current monastery of Yuso was constructed on the spot. A 10th-11th century Romanesque monastery of which today no trace remains, over which the current monastery of Yuso was constructed between the 16th and 18th centuries by the Benedictine abbots.

The Benedictine monks moved to the monastery in the 10th century. One of the most notable abbots was Domingo, born in the Riojan village of Cañas, better known as Santo Domingo de Silos.

The main door to the monastery was built in 1661 and depicts the relief of San Millán “Moorslayer” since, according to tradition, he fought against Islam together with Santiago (St James) in the battle of Simancas. The vestibule was made later, in 1689, and together these lead into the Kings' Chamber, called thus because of the four large canvases of kings who supported the monastery.

The low cloister was begun in 1549 and although its vaults are gothic in conception, it is Renaissance. Outside it is classicist in style and it houses twenty-four paintings by José Vexes, whose main theme is the life of San Millán, written by San Braulio, Archbishop of Zaragoza.

The vestry is one of the loveliest in Spain, the former chapter house started to be used as such around 1693. The 18th century frescos on the ceiling conserve all the rich original colour in spite of never having been restored. The walnut drawers and chests, over which hang twenty-four oils painted on copper in the Baroque style originating in Flanders, Madrid and Italy.

The monastery church was the first part of the whole to be completed, begun in 1504 and finished thirty-six years later. It is catalogued as being "decadent gothic". The grandiose altarpiece of the main altar has a canvas by Fray Juan Ricci, of the school of El Greco, depicting San Millán on horseback and the battle of Hacinas . The extraordinary wrought ironwork of Sebastián de Medina from 1676 complete the artistic whole of the main chapel.

The lower choirstalls were decorated by a Flemish sculptor around 1640, the retro choir in French Rococo style is decorated with busts depicting the disciples of San Millán, with the plateresque pulpit with reliefs of the writers of the gospels and symbols of the passion. The upper choir, somewhat later than the lower one, is supported on an arch with sixteen medallions, from the first half of the 17th c.

The shelves for the monastery songbooks hold twenty-five volumes copied between 1729 and 1731. The monastery archives and library are of great value to researchers and is considered to be among the best in Spain. Here the cartularies and three hundred original volumes are conserved.

In the exhibition room the replicas of the Romanesque ivories on the caskets are outstanding: reliquaries of San Millán from the 11th c. and of San Felices from the 12th c.

It was built by Benedictine monks, who stayed there until the disendowment and expulsion of the 19th c. Nowadays the Augustine friars are responsible for keeping alive the spirit of the monastery.

San Millán de la Cogolla

The origin of the construction of this monastery is reflected in a legend which tells how king García of Nájera, ordered the transfer of the remains of San Millán which were then in Suso to the Monastery of Santa María La Real de Nájera. The oxen which were pulling the cart stopped in the valley as if the Saint's remains did not want to abandon it, so the current monastery of Yuso was constructed on the spot. A 10th-11th century Romanesque monastery of which today no trace remains, over which the current monastery of Yuso was constructed between the 16th and 18th centuries by the Benedictine abbots.

The Benedictine monks moved to the monastery in the 10th century. One of the most notable abbots was Domingo, born in the Riojan village of Cañas, better known as Santo Domingo de Silos.

The main door to the monastery was built in 1661 and depicts the relief of San Millán “Moorslayer” since, according to tradition, he fought against Islam together with Santiago (St James) in the battle of Simancas. The vestibule was made later, in 1689, and together these lead into the Kings' Chamber, called thus because of the four large canvases of kings who supported the monastery.

The low cloister was begun in 1549 and although its vaults are gothic in conception, it is Renaissance. Outside it is classicist in style and it houses twenty-four paintings by José Vexes, whose main theme is the life of San Millán, written by San Braulio, Archbishop of Zaragoza.

The vestry is one of the loveliest in Spain, the former chapter house started to be used as such around 1693. The 18th century frescos on the ceiling conserve all the rich original colour in spite of never having been restored. The walnut drawers and chests, over which hang twenty-four oils painted on copper in the Baroque style originating in Flanders, Madrid and Italy.

The monastery church was the first part of the whole to be completed, begun in 1504 and finished thirty-six years later. It is catalogued as being "decadent gothic". The grandiose altarpiece of the main altar has a canvas by Fray Juan Ricci, of the school of El Greco, depicting San Millán on horseback and the battle of Hacinas . The extraordinary wrought ironwork of Sebastián de Medina from 1676 complete the artistic whole of the main chapel.

The lower choirstalls were decorated by a Flemish sculptor around 1640, the retro choir in French Rococo style is decorated with busts depicting the disciples of San Millán, with the plateresque pulpit with reliefs of the writers of the gospels and symbols of the passion. The upper choir, somewhat later than the lower one, is supported on an arch with sixteen medallions, from the first half of the 17th c.

The shelves for the monastery songbooks hold twenty-five volumes copied between 1729 and 1731. The monastery archives and library are of great value to researchers and is considered to be among the best in Spain. Here the cartularies and three hundred original volumes are conserved.

In the exhibition room the replicas of the Romanesque ivories on the caskets are outstanding: reliquaries of San Millán from the 11th c. and of San Felices from the 12th c.

It was built by Benedictine monks, who stayed there until the disendowment and expulsion of the 19th c. Nowadays the Augustine friars are responsible for keeping alive the spirit of the monastery.

filter_list

Filtrar

close

Find

facetas