formularioHidden
formularioRDF
Login

 

Search in La Rioja Turismo close

START TYPING...

No results

Panel Information

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos de interés. Al continuar con la navegación entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.

All > palencia

facetas
filter_listFiltrar

2 results

...

Casalarreina

The Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, Don Juan Fernández de Velasco and his niece, Doña Isabel Alonso de Guzmán y Fernández de Velasco were its founders. The young girl entered the monastery taking the name Sister María de La Piedad and her uncorrupted body is still kept there.

Cardinal Adriano Florenz was asked to bless and inaugurate the monastery in 1522 on the occasion of his visit to the “Casa de la Reina”, the town's old name, on his way to Rome where he was going to be confirmed and enthroned as Pope under the name of Adrian VI.

The sisters of the Dominican Order took possession of the monastery in 1523, although during the war of Independence they had to move to Burgos as the monastery had become a Field Hospital.

The monastery took ten years to be completed (1514-1524), using materials of the highest quality, thus obtaining great uniformity of style.

The monastery church is in "Catholic Monarch" style, with a big main chapel and octagonal transept and apse. In the centre of the nave is the tomb of the founder, a smooth reddish jasper mound with no other decoration except the inscription. The reredos is dedicated to the Passion of Our Lord and particularly the Pity. >The main cloister has two levels, the lower covered with tierceron cross vaulting. The central keystones of the vaults depict allegories of the Passion with various symbols and attributes. The upper cloister, covered with a flat wooden roof, and with stretches of balusters between the columns, is one of the parts with the richest ornamental decoration.

The main door of the church is conceived in the late Gothic style in the form of a big altarpiece mad of stone.





Casalarreina

The Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, Don Juan Fernández de Velasco and his niece, Doña Isabel Alonso de Guzmán y Fernández de Velasco were its founders. The young girl entered the monastery taking the name Sister María de La Piedad and her uncorrupted body is still kept there.

Cardinal Adriano Florenz was asked to bless and inaugurate the monastery in 1522 on the occasion of his visit to the “Casa de la Reina”, the town's old name, on his way to Rome where he was going to be confirmed and enthroned as Pope under the name of Adrian VI.

The sisters of the Dominican Order took possession of the monastery in 1523, although during the war of Independence they had to move to Burgos as the monastery had become a Field Hospital.

The monastery took ten years to be completed (1514-1524), using materials of the highest quality, thus obtaining great uniformity of style.

The monastery church is in "Catholic Monarch" style, with a big main chapel and octagonal transept and apse. In the centre of the nave is the tomb of the founder, a smooth reddish jasper mound with no other decoration except the inscription. The reredos is dedicated to the Passion of Our Lord and particularly the Pity. >The main cloister has two levels, the lower covered with tierceron cross vaulting. The central keystones of the vaults depict allegories of the Passion with various symbols and attributes. The upper cloister, covered with a flat wooden roof, and with stretches of balusters between the columns, is one of the parts with the richest ornamental decoration.

The main door of the church is conceived in the late Gothic style in the form of a big altarpiece mad of stone.





...

Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga, Bishop of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada was the founder of this Abbey. The Cistercian nuns who live here come from the Monastery of Santa María de los Barrios in Abia de las Torres (Palencia), who moved to Santo Domingo de La Calzada in 1610,date when the building of the new monastery began, until the works were completed in 1621.

The monastery depended on the Abbey of las Huelgas in Burgos until the bull of Pío IX in 1873, when it was transferred to the jurisdiction of the clergy of the Riojan diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada.

The monastery church, a classical work of the architects Matías de Asteazu and Pedro de la Mata, consists of a single nave in the form of a Latin cross, divided into chapels by the flying buttresses in which the altars are mounted.

In the main chapel there is a magnificent example of Riojan Baroque art, an altarpiece dating from the middle of the 18th c., in the central niche is the image of Our Lady of the Annunciation.

The tomb of the founder, Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga and his two nephews, also bishops, constitute one of the most interesting artistic elements of the church, situated to the right of the main altarpiece showing the richly worked carving of the recumbent statues of the three bishops.

The lower choir situated t the foot of the church served as a cemetery until 1960 and over 200 nuns are buried there. Next to the church is the 17th century cloister which is outstanding for its austerity, in line with Cistercian spirituality.

The monastery has free lodging for pilgrims situated in the old Chaplain's House, an 18th century building restored and refurbished to receive pilgrims.

Since its foundation it has been inhabited by a community of Cistercians.

Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga, Bishop of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada was the founder of this Abbey. The Cistercian nuns who live here come from the Monastery of Santa María de los Barrios in Abia de las Torres (Palencia), who moved to Santo Domingo de La Calzada in 1610,date when the building of the new monastery began, until the works were completed in 1621.

The monastery depended on the Abbey of las Huelgas in Burgos until the bull of Pío IX in 1873, when it was transferred to the jurisdiction of the clergy of the Riojan diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada.

The monastery church, a classical work of the architects Matías de Asteazu and Pedro de la Mata, consists of a single nave in the form of a Latin cross, divided into chapels by the flying buttresses in which the altars are mounted.

In the main chapel there is a magnificent example of Riojan Baroque art, an altarpiece dating from the middle of the 18th c., in the central niche is the image of Our Lady of the Annunciation.

The tomb of the founder, Don Pedro Manso de Zúñiga and his two nephews, also bishops, constitute one of the most interesting artistic elements of the church, situated to the right of the main altarpiece showing the richly worked carving of the recumbent statues of the three bishops.

The lower choir situated t the foot of the church served as a cemetery until 1960 and over 200 nuns are buried there. Next to the church is the 17th century cloister which is outstanding for its austerity, in line with Cistercian spirituality.

The monastery has free lodging for pilgrims situated in the old Chaplain's House, an 18th century building restored and refurbished to receive pilgrims.

Since its foundation it has been inhabited by a community of Cistercians.

filter_list

Filtrar

close

Find

facetas