Place of Interest
In 1403 Juan de Guzmán, Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, gave custody over the shrine and its lands to the Hieronymite friars of the Morcuera (Miranda de Ebro). Following Martin V's Papal Bull, (1419) it was made a monastery.
The Archdean of the Diocese of Calahorra y La Calzada, Diego Fernández de Entrena in 1423 paid for the reconstruction of the monastery in line with the style of the era. The painter Juan Fernández de Navarrete “El Mudo” from Logroño, started to train in this monastery in which he left works executed by his hand which no longer exist today.
In 1951 the Brothers of the Christian Schools, Hermanos de La Salle, acquired the monastery and rebuilt it on the ruins almost all in the neo-gothic style, under the direction of the architect Pedro Ispizua, perfectly harmonized by the new style of ancient structures.
At the present time, several parts can be visited: the Knights' Gate, which was the main doorway, the Gothic cloister of 1430, the 16th century King's Fountain, the modern sanctuary from the mid 20th century, the pilgrims' hall, and the tomb of the Archdean.
About this resource...
Loading form, a moment please