Place of Interest
Iglesia Parroquial de Santa María la Mayor
tipo de documento semantico attraction
The parish church of San Vicente de la Sonsierra was built at the beginning of the 16th century within the fortified enclosure of the castle. The architectural style — variously called Late Gothic, Flamboyant Gothic or Catholic Monarchs style— displaced the romanesque and full gothic styles.
It is listed as a national monument since 1933. It consists of a nave with four aisles with shallow chapels between the buttresses, and an octagonal or polygonal somewhat narrower east end with seven sides. To the north, the sacristy has a 16th century section and another section which is baroque from the early 18th century. The high choir is on top of vaults with stellar ribbing on vaults of star-shaped vaults. It is is located at the west end, together with as seven-sided Tower. The entrance, located in the second-last section to the south, is flamboyant gothic and it is protected by a baroque portico.
About this resource...
Loading form, a moment please