formularioHidden
formularioRDF
Login

 

Iniciar sesión

Panel Information

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos de interés. Al continuar con la navegación entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.

Place of Interest

Monasterio de Nuestra Señora de La Piedad

tipo de documento semantico attraction

Description:

The Bishop of Calahorra y La Calzada, Don Juan Fernández de Velasco and his niece, Doña Isabel Alonso de Guzmán y Fernández de Velasco were its founders. The young girl entered the monastery taking the name Sister María de La Piedad and her uncorrupted body is still kept there.

Cardinal Adriano Florenz was asked to bless and inaugurate the monastery in 1522 on the occasion of his visit to the “Casa de la Reina”, the town's old name, on his way to Rome where he was going to be confirmed and enthroned as Pope under the name of Adrian VI.

The sisters of the Dominican Order took possession of the monastery in 1523, although during the war of Independence they had to move to Burgos as the monastery had become a Field Hospital.

The monastery took ten years to be completed (1514-1524), using materials of the highest quality, thus obtaining great uniformity of style.

The monastery church is in "Catholic Monarch" style, with a big main chapel and octagonal transept and apse. In the centre of the nave is the tomb of the founder, a smooth reddish jasper mound with no other decoration except the inscription. The reredos is dedicated to the Passion of Our Lord and particularly the Pity. >The main cloister has two levels, the lower covered with tierceron cross vaulting. The central keystones of the vaults depict allegories of the Passion with various symbols and attributes. The upper cloister, covered with a flat wooden roof, and with stretches of balusters between the columns, is one of the parts with the richest ornamental decoration.

The main door of the church is conceived in the late Gothic style in the form of a big altarpiece mad of stone.





Additional information:

The Prices are:

   - Adults: 3.00 €

   - Children 4 to 15: 1.50 €

   - Groups of more than 10 persons and pensioners  2.40  €

Closed los días 24, 25 and 31 December as well as 1 and 6 January.

 

DOWNLOAD INFORMATION

Map:

Address: Madres Dominicas. Plaza de Sto. Domingo, 5 26214
Phone: Reservas: 619 387 277
E-mail: ojatiron@ojatiron.com
Type:
Monastery
Visiting Hours: Open July, August and September. Tours by prior appointment 941 32 40 33
Price (€): 3
Town:
District: La Rioja Alta

About this resource...